On Friday, May 13, GENERAL HOSPITAL star Kelly Monaco (Sam) found herself in the midst of some real-life drama when she awoke to a fire on the front yard of her Sherman Oaks, California, home! TMZ is reporting that Monaco first saw the flames raging outside of her windows when she woke up late Friday morning and that the fire soon reached her home.
Thankfully, the GH star was able to escape before portions of her home went up in flames. The fire caused hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage, displacing the actress for the foreseeable future as repairs are made. In a video from the scene of the fire, several firetrucks are parked on the street as firefighters walk about the street and property. Huddled under a hoodie and covering her mouth due to all the smoke, Monaco confirms, “My house is on fire.”
In cooperation with the local authorities, Monaco turned over her security footage to the local authorities. “Arson investigators were able to determine the fire was started by someone tossing a lit cigarette butt on the empty lot next to her home,” reported TMZ. “The investigators believe the fire was not started intentionally.”
Another video clip posted by TMZ had Monaco viewing footage of the small fire that eventually turned into a massive blaze. “This is how it started,” she said in the video, which can be seen at the TMZ link above. “Isn’t this crazy?”
We are so glad that Monaco was able to get out of her home before the unthinkable happened. “Something as little as a cigarette butt,” she told TMZ, “can cause casualties and devastation.”
Love GH? Be sure to join our We Love General Hospital Facebook group to chat about all the latest storylines and juicy gossip!